Tag Archives: fresh
This has been a wild week!
I have been really excited about all of the buzz about my friend Justin and the album he released as part of his project called Sarasota. Joseph Gordon-Levitt found it and has been tweeting about how great it is, and it’s getting a lot of attention on his website, hitrecord.org. Amazing! I am so happy for Justin, and if you haven’t listened yet, I seriously advise you to do so!
- this recipe for Nutella Ice Cream. Goodness gracious!
- this greeting card that grows
- this yard on my street:
- this caramel apple tart from pete bakes!
- my friend Lauren’s new blog!
- and the same Lauren’s new gig writing for Sociological Images!
I’ve started knitting Liesl, a cardigan pattern from Ysolda, and so I’ve got homework for the class I started on Wednesday. I’ve got two weeks to finish the yoke, so here’s hoping I get two weekends off from work, and maybe an evening or two. This weekend, we’re having a New College reunion potluck picnic (Sunday!) and I can’t wait!
I’ve been craving freshness a lot lately. The weather has been amazing so all our windows are open at home. I’ve been working crazy hours, and missing meals at home, and I’ve been feeling desperate for any kind of fresh produce. So I’ve decided to make a post about things that are best fresh to satisfy my craving.
- Happy Hour: Last night, I went for drinks with a couple of dear friends. I was feeling cheeky and desperate for something delicious and un-dive-bar, so I ordered a salty dog, and it definitely hit the spot. I’ll admit though that it was probably a far cry from this recipe featured on MattBites.com (with rosemary!), which is what refreshed my memory and inspired my hankering for said beverage. After one drink, we decided that we had to get outside into the perfect weather, and so we grabbed froyo instead of more drinks. I had mine topped with strawberries, blackberries, and granola.
- Breakfast: I’ve been waking up grumpy for a few weeks because all I’ve had for breakfast every morning has been cereal or toast or bagels or something else and I am getting so tired of those things! I need to swear off all carbs for a good long time and eat only fresh produce for weeks. I’d literally be quenched by celery, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, anything, just give it to me raw and undressed and I’d feel so good. So yesterday I went to Trader Joe’s on my lunch break, bought blackberries, strawberries, nectarines, and cucumbers, as well as a few lemons and limes and ate them all for breakfast. I think I might be dehydrated and overcooked. I don’t feel like salad, I just feel like melons, grapes, apples, oranges, pineapple, kiwi, berries (berries!!) anything everything I feel very starved for freshness.
- Terry Gross. Fresh as they come, I’m catching up on a backlog I’ve acquired of her show, and listening to this episode as I type.
- Fresh laundry! I’ve been doing a lot of laundry, as I change out winter items for summer ones. (There’s a heatwave this week and today it will be 90 degrees in DC!) I was a little inspired and a little horrified by this post on laundry techniques pre-washer and dryer. Yikes.
- I’ve been thinking a lot about egg in Brooklyn, and even though the freshness of their ingredients isn’t quite aligned with my aforementioned cravings, I want that too.
- Commissary in Logan Circle once broke my heart by telling me on their website that they have a honey-dew mimosa, and then failing to follow through. I’m holding out hope for honey-dew season though, because honey-dew and champagne sounds like the very best way to cope with a heat wave.
Tonight I’m going to work out a little bit and make myself a cocktail that tastes like flowers, while I eat raw fruits and vegetables, and maybe do something truly froofroo like a mint julep face mask, or just drink a giant glass of water with lemon and rose. I have to super-hydrate and flush all of the no-good-eating-at-my-desk from my system. I am totally going to finish my book tonight too!
So I think I’ve done enough procrastinating today, given that I had nothing to blog about when I started, but tomorrow begins my cardigan class! I know you’re all on the edge of your seats. Well, me too.